Sunday, November 25, 2007

All we are saying is give students a chance...

There have been many ideas thrown around about giving each student a laptop when they reach a certain grade level. Some schools have actually even attempted this project ( http://www.govtech.com/gt/173921 ). As our society is progressing in the 21st Century, technology is finding its way into more and more areas of our lives. All throughout my high school career I had a computer available to me in my house. Now I can't even imagine what it would have been like to have not had that priviledge. I would have had to stay at the school later than normal in order to type a paper or try to find time to go to the library in order to research for my next big presentation. This could have taken away from time in after-school activities or it could have interferred with a part-time job.

As techonology becomes of higher importance in the education of our students, the idea of giving every student a laptop seems more and more sensible. Laptops for every students ensures that no student is at a disadvantage. Of course some have voiced concerns that students will be irresponsible with them and break them or lose them. There is no denying that the occasional accident will take place, but the truth of the matter is, students need to learn responsibility. Why not sooner than later? In the end, I believe that giving students laptops is not only a valuable idea but will eventually become a neccessary one.

No comments: